Due to the Mission closure as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak, Mausoleum introductory visits are unavailable until further notice.
However, we are happy to answer any questions via email (just complete and submit the information form below), and will contact you after we reopen to schedule an appointment.
The Historic Mausoleum
at Old Mission Santa Barbara
Continuing a Franciscan Tradition of Care and Reverence
Surrounded by 200-year-old sandstone walls, The Historic Mausoleum is situated in the center of the cemetery at Old Mission Santa Barbara. Since 1893, this simple structure has served as a final resting place for Franciscan friars and a number of prominent citizens who were part of the early history of Santa Barbara. An extensive restoration of the building was completed in 2011, which included the addition of a columbarium with niche spaces for inurnments of cremated remains. Clad in beautiful, elegant marble and surrounded by handcrafted details from local artisans, these niches are now available to all people of faith and good will. Our goal is to reconnect the community to our living cemetery and its grand history.
The columbarium supports and nurtures the Corporal Works of Mercy through appropriate inurnment, respect, reverence, dignity, and hope found within the Franciscans, who have made this space available to all. It brings together parishioners, family and friends, and people throughout this wonderful community and beyond.